Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Touhai Densetsu Akagi

Finally finished the subs for this.  The rar file includes subtitle (.ass) files for episodes 1 to 26, and also attached are the fonts used.  I decided to go with offering just the subtitle files for now, since it is probably a bit more familiar to most.

https://www.mediafire.com/?m01nqnr9h4r4y7i

Since the Nyaa torrent of Yousei-raws has been deleted (because of upscale), here is a link to the Yousei-raws website to download:
http://yousei-raws.org/releases/touhai-densetsu-akagi

As I progressed through editing the episodes, I started retiming all of the lines and snapping them to keyframes.  I also figured out how to make moving signs (first screenshot here), but I didnt bother to go back and change the one or two others earlier on in the series, since it wasnt really important.

Here are some additional screenshots:









If there are any problems, let me know.  This is the first series ive worked on from start to finish, and I did it because I wanted to have Akagi with good subs and a quality encode (even if it is for upscaled files).  Since I spent a decent amount of time on this, I decided to share it for others to enjoy.  Anyone is welcome to modify these files, remux and upload, etc (just dont sell them, lol).  I plan to offer this at BakaBT, so if anyone is willing to mux the subs with Yousei-raws and upload for me, please let me know.  I have a max upload speed of ~80kbps on my DSL line, so initial seeding of such a torrent would be way too time consuming.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on the subs; wish the Yousei raws weren't upscale, but hey, still better than the TV rip of times long ago.

    One line that's bugged me ever since Triad themselves admitted it was improperly translated occurs in episode 14, roughly eleven minutes in, when Yasuoka and Ohgi enter the gambling den to recruit Akagi.

    Ohgi says, "Toritsuku shimamo ariyashinee." ( 取り付く島も ありゃしねえ)

    The current subs render this as, "They can't even take care of their own territory."
    Literally, this is accurate, "can't/nai(nee)" + "island/territory/shima" +"grab hold of/toritsuku", but sounds awkward and out of place.

    A better translation, according to the mighty internet, is "unapproachable".

    http://tangorin.com/general/toritsukushimamonai
    http://takoboto.jp/?w=2662180
    http://www.orientaloutpost.com/dictionary.php?type=dictionary&q=unapproachable

    Given the context and Ohgi's character, a possible better line would be,
    "[Hey!] [What's his problem?] Givin' us the cold shoulder (like that)."

    tl;dr One line out of 26 episodes bugs the hell out of me and don't know if you're willing to tweak it prior to muxing.

    Thanks for your efforts thus far. What is the next thing you've got lined up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only edited a couple of lines in the show for readability, but since I dont know Japanese and couldnt attest to their accuracy, I kept most of the lines as they were.

    I just checked the line you were referring to, and it does seem a bit out of place. Like I said, I dont know Japanese, but the idea that the spoken word might be "unapproachable" seems sound. The idea that they might want to just leave does indicate that they were put off by their rudeness. Nothing previously or in the future indicates there wa a territorial struggle, so I believe your claim. . The line "Giving us the cold shoulder" seems like a better fit, so yes, I would be willing to change the line and put up an updated sub file to download.

    Unfortunately I dont think I could upload the remuxed version since I have a really slow upload speed, and uploading 16+ GB with a max upload of 80kbps would result in the initial seeding taking way too long. Actually it would be nice if someone were to remux and upload the files for me so that people wouldnt have to add the subs in manually or remux them themselves.

    As for future plans, I dont really have anything planned. I did this basically because I wanted to watch Akagi with a legitimate source (Triad's encode was a bitstarved avi from the days with lower standard, and Taedium messed up the encode, along with incorrectly styling the subs), but one thing lead to another and I put some more time into it so I decided to share my efforts. If I were to do anything else, it would probably be something dated, mecha, or some show where there arent any subs for it. Given my internet connection, I would need to find someone to upload files if I were to release anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, just wanted to ask about the subs for the first ED.

    Is this normal? http://goput.it/mwn.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, it should look like this :http://i.imgur.com/Z94n139.jpg

    The reason you are seeing it like that is because you dont have the specified font in the ass file (Grudge) installed. The easiest way to fix it would be to just install the fonts I provided in the mediafire link. Or you could do what the fansub groups do and add the fonts as attachments when you remux, which does not require you to install the font for it to work on playback.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, apparently I forgot to add Grudge to the font archive. Ill upload it momentarily.

    ReplyDelete